The Greg Jones Scholarship fund is a community-base scholarship, and was established by Dr. Gregory Jones in 1987 for graduating seniors residing in the Glen Hazel / Hazelwood / Glenwood sections of Pittsburgh (zip code 15207). Dr. Jones grew up in Glen Hazel, and launched the scholarship to financially assist teens in the 15207 zip code in their pursuit of a college education. Dr. Jones now has two adult daughters, and currently resides in Los Angeles county, California.
To be eligible for the scholarship applicants must:
- Currently live in the 15207 zip code, or have parents/grandparents that previously lived in the 15207 zip code
- Have a minimum 2.25 overall GPA
- If a recent high school graduate, student must have a minimum of 2.75 GPA in junior and senior years
- Provide at least two references, with at least one reference from a current or former high school teacher; can have one reference from a community leader
- Preference will be given to low-income students (determined by EFC number on SAR form)
- Attend an accredited two-year or four-year college or university in pursuit of an Associates or Bachelor's degree or technical professional degree
Two, $1,000 scholarships will be awarded for the 2018/2019 school year. The scholarships will be distributed in two equal installments (per student) of $500 in August of 2018 and $500 in December 2018. The second installment will be made after the scholarship recipient(s) provides proof of registration and their schedule of classes for the 2nd semester.
The application is currently closed. Please check back in January 2018 for additional information.
How to Apply
To apply, click on the link below and select the Greg Jones Scholarship Application. Note the online application is only available during the application period, noted in the Timeline above.